A description of Elswick from 1934.
Is a township of dispersed dwellings, four miles
N. of Kirkham, covering an area of 1,036 acres, principally belonging to A. W. Wilson, Esq. It is
in the parliamentary division, county council division and Union of the Fylde. Its rateable value
is £1,563, and the population in 1851 was 307 ; 1861, 290 ; 1871, 254 ; 1881, 242 ; 1891, 223 ;
1901, 227 ; and 1921, 374.
The INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, erected in 1753, is now
used as a Sunday School, it being replaced by a handsome Gothic structure, erected in 1873, and of
which the Rev. W. S. Rowland, M.A., is pastor.
A Small-pox Hospital was erected in this township
by the Fylde, Preston and Garstang Joint Hospital Committee. The building was opened in 1904 and
will accommodate 35 patients. The total cost was about £20,000 ; Mr. E. C. H. Maid-man, Edinburgh,
architect ; and Mr. James Eaves, Blackpool ,contractor.
Parlsh Council.—Rev. W. S. Rowland, M.A. (chairman), J. Gornall, J. Kirby, James Hill, Thos.
Bradshaw and Robert Porter.
Rural District Councillor : James Hill. Clerk : 0. Stirzaker.
Post Office at Mr. Samuel Nixon's. Letters, via Kirkham, arrive at 8-20 a.m. and 4.30 p.m., and are
despatched at 8-20 a.m. and 4-30 p.m.