In 1904 he leased a clearing in the sand dunes from the Fairhaven Estate
Company. A stage was erected, seating set out and this became a popular rendezvous
for visitors known as Carlton’s Cosy Corner.
The alfresco theatre
was located roughly opposite Riley Avenue, near the present Beach Cafe &
car park. During inclement weather, the performances were held in the Public
Hall in St.George’s Road.