WESHAM IN 1934
Two hamlets, the former two miles and the latter
one mile N. from Kirkham, give name to a township containing 1,966 acres of land, mostly belonging
to the representatives of J. T. Fazackerley-Westby, Esq., J. L. Birley, Esq., and the Earl of
Derby. It is in the Fylde parliamentary division, and in the
Fylde county council division and Union, and is governed by a parish council consisting of seven
A neat CATHOLIC CHURCH, dedicated to St. Joseph,
was erected in Wesham, in 1885-6, at a cost, including site and presbytery, of £6,000. The funds
for the building were bequeathed by the Rev. Thomas Billington, of Kirkham, and his sister, Mrs.
Ann Gibson, who both died in 1880. The building is of brick
with stone facings, and consists of nave, aisles and chancel. The pillars are of Shap granite. The
style of architecture is Gothic. A memorial, erected in the church, to the memory of the men of the
parish who fell in the Great War, is a representation of Calvary. The Rev. William Rockliff,
Here is also a CATHOLIC SCHOOL, opened in
1890, with accommodation for 192 children, and a cemetery was
consecrated September 22nd, 1895. The Catholic population is about zoo.
In Wesham is a commodious SCHOOL, in connection
with the parish church of Kirkham, built at a cost of £1,700. It will accommodate 270 children. The
Church (CHRIST CHURCH), consecrated in 1894, has already been mentioned in the description of
Kirkham. A neat chapel, belonging to the METHODISTS, was erected in 1895.
The Kirkham Station, on the London, Midland and
Scottish Railway, stands in Wesham, and there is also a neat building erected by B. Whitworth,
Esq., in 1864, as a Lecture Hall and School, and presented by him to the trustees of the Chapel at
Population of the township in 1851, 170 ;
1861, 563 ; 1871, 860 ; 1881, 1,034 ; 1891, 1,563 ; .1901, 1,826 ; 1911, 2,155 ; and 1921, 2,150.
Rateable value, £8,440.
Parlsh Council.—Wm. J. Potter (chairman), R. E.
Kent, E. W. Threlfall, C. Parker, E. Birch, and R. Kirby. Clerk : Fred Taylor ;
Rural District Councillors : R. E. Kent and J. Fairclough.
Rural District Councillor : Robert Fisher.
Names for this Township are included with