Guide to Lytham St.Annes 1924
THIS pleasant residential and municipal borough is situated at the estuary of
the Ribble, extending about eight miles along the coast. It is in the Blackpool parliamentary
division and Fylde union. Previous to the first meeting of the Corporation, Lytham and St.Annes
were governed by two separate Urban District Councils. The charter of incorporation was granted on
March 28th, 1922 (the official reception took place on the 31st), when under its provision, the two
townships amalgamated for the administration of local government. The election of the borough took
place on November 1st; 1922, and the first town council meeting held eight days later. The council
comprises six aldermen and eighteen councillors. The districts of Ansdell and Fairhaven are
included in the borough.
Clifton Street, Lytham c1930
LYTHAM is described in Doomsday Book as Lidum, but a legal document of the reign
of King John referred to the locality as Lethum, an appellation which seems to have adhered to it
until comparatively recent years. The derivation of the latter title is apparently from the
Anglo-Saxon word lethe, signifying a barn, and points obviously to an agricultural origin. Shortly
before the termination of the reign of Richard the First, in the year 1199, Richard Fitz-Roger, who
is supposed to have belonged to the Banastre family, gave all his lands in Lethum with the church
of the same vill, and all things belonging to the church, to the monks of Durham that they might
establish a Benedictine cell there, to the honour of St. Mary’s and St. Cuthbert, as a pure and
perpetual offering. For nearly five hundred years this monastic cell existed on the site of the
present Lytham Hall. In the year 1555 the cell and domains were granted to Sir Thomas Holcroft, as
part of the possessions of the Durham convent, at the dissolution of the monastries, who later sold
the manor to Sir Richard Molineux; and according to Col. Fishwick, a deed, dated February 14th,
1606, states that it was bought from the latter knight by Cuthbert Clifton, of Westby, for £4,300.
With this deed begins the long association of the Clifton family with Lytham.
The Clifton genealogy goes back to 1258, when a Clifton, of Westby, was bailiff for the Earl of
Lincoln, from Clitheroe Castle to the Fylde. A knighthood was conferred upon the family by James
the First, when Sir Cuthbert Clifton increased the family estate by the purchase of land at Marton.
During the civil wars, the Cliftons were staunch loyalists, and Sir Thomas Clifton, the grandson of
the original knight, was made a baronet by Charles the Second for the services of his family. As he
died without issue, the estates devolved upon a collateral branch of the family at Fairsnape, of
which J. Talbot Clifton, Esq., is a direct descendant. Lytham at one time was very popular amongst
the fashionable and genteel class for bathing.
St.Anne's Square, St.Anne's-on-the-Sea c1925.
ST. ANNES-ON-THE-SEA is a locality indicated in the foundation charter of the
Lytham Benedictine cell as Kilgrimol. It has been suggested that the peculiar orthography of the
word Kilgrimol points to there having been at some era a religious settlement presided over by
Culdees, the priests of Columba, but it is more probable that the name is derived from the two
British words kilbury and mul or meol. At a later epoch the district was known as Cross or
Churchyard Slack, a place where, it is said, the bodies of sailors washed ashore were buried. The
whole of the land of St.Anne’s having been leased to a company of gentlemen for a term of 1,100
years; the first stone of the future watering place was laid on the 31st of March, 1875, by J.
Talbot Clifton, Esq., the lord of the manor of Lytham, then only a boy of six. On that occasion,
the mayor of Southport expressed a hope that the new town would spring up like a mushroom and stand
firm as an oak. In less than half-a-century, St. Anne’s became second to Blackpool among towns on
the same coast in point of rateable value. By a curious coincidence the anniversaries of the birth
of St. Annes, the inquiry into the application for a Charter, and the official reception of the
Charter, all fall on the same day of the month-March 31st, whilst the Charter also reforms into one
district, an area which was divided by the creation of St. Annes as a separate area in 1878.
The residents of St.Annes having business in Manchester, Bolton, Chorley, Burnley, and other
manufacturing districts, formed the first CLUB TRAIN in England, which is very liberally supported,
the members enjoying all the advantages of a dub whilst travelling. First class accommodation is
provided at the hotels and boarding houses in the district, and is extremely patronized by golf
players. Golf is quite an institution, there being several flourishing clubs in the district. The
Lytham Saint Annes Golf Club possesses a handsome clubhouse, equipped with ladies’ and gentlemen’s
clubrooms, billiard room, dining-room and baths. The links attached are supposed to be the finest
and longest in the country, and consist of an 18-hole course for gentlemen and a 9-hole course for
ladies. A dormy house adjacent to the club provides accommodation for members wishing to -remain at
night. Other golf clubs in the district are the Blackpool Old Links, Fairhaven, Green Drive, and
The municipal borough of Lytham St. Annes covers an area of (including 5,891 acres foreshore),
11,697 acres; and the rateable value is, Lytham £94,757, St. Annes £137,866, total £232,623. The
population in 1921 was 25,877.
LYTHAM ST. ANNES TOWN COUNCIL (1923-1924). CHARLES F. CRITCHLEY, ESQ., Mayor. ALDERMEN.-A. England,
E. R. Lightwood, J. Hallam, W, F. Holden and H. N. Whittle.
LYTHAM, WEST WARD: T. H. Wood, J. Chadwick and J. Smethurst. LYTHAM, CENTRAL WARD: G. A. Brown, J.
E. Myerscough and Miss J. Rossall.
LYTHAM. EAST WARD: J. Forshaw, F. Bibby, and A. J. Price.
ST. ANNES, NORTH WEST WARD: J. R. Taylor, S. Smith and J. H. Beaver.
ST. ANNES, EAST WARD: J. C. Martin, J. Harwood and W. Ingham.
ST. ANNES, SOUTH WARD: J. Barnes, W. Hope and T. E. Jesson.
Town Clerk, Thomas Bradley ; Assistant Town Clerk, George Johnson ; Borough Treasurer and
Superintendent Assistant Overseer, Alfred B. Dawson, A.S.A.A., F.I.M.T.A. ; Assistant, Harold
Smith, A.I.M.T. A.; Borough Collector, Ernest Redhead; Borough Engineer and Surveyor, George W.
Lawson, M.Inst.M.E., M.Inst.C.E. ; Consulting Surveyor, H. Gregson; Medical Officer of Health and
Schools Medical Officer, G. C. Walker, M.D., D.P.H., Chief Sanitary Inspector, Harold Yates -
C.R.S.I., M.S.I.A.; Secretary to Education Authority, Arthur Kay; Gas Manager and Engineer, J. H.
Ranft; Gas Works Manager, E. Hargreaves; Electrical Engineer, J. H. Clothier; Tramways. Manager, H.
W. Laing; Veterinary Inspector, J. R. Rigby, M.R.C.V.S. Borough Librarian, Miss B. M. Barrow;
Lytham Library, Miss May Dobson ; Superintendents Fire Brigade, R. E. Whittaker and G. E.
Pennington ; Mayor’s attendant and Town Hall Keeper, E. Taylor.
BOROUGH MAGISTRATES.-C. F. Critchley (mayor), E. W. Mellor, E. R. Lightwood, J. A. Nicholson, S. L.
Scott, W. F. Holden, Edwin Oldham, Rd. Leigh, Arthur Hargreaves, Mrs. Walton, His Honour Judge
Bradley, A. E. Smith, Miss Rossall, Henry Heap, John Pearson, T. H. Wood, James Chadwick, Mrs.
Penry, Joshua Moore, J. C. Martin, John Smethurst, J. H. Taylor, Matthew Kirkham and Edwin
Lytham PARISH CHURCH, situated in Church Road, is dedicated
to St. Cuthbert. It was rebuilt in 1778 on the site of the ancient fabric, which existed as
early as the 12th century. This is evident from the terms of the grant made in the reign of
Richard I. (1188), by Richard Fitz Roger, who gave to the monks of Durham all his lands of
Lytham, with the church of that town, that they might form a Benedictine cell there to the
honour of the Blessed Virgin and St. Cuthbert, which was accordingly done. The first stone of
the present edifice was laid in 1834. It is a plain, substantial building. With square tower,
the Tudor style predominating. The windows are of stained glass. There are several marble
monuments to members of the Clifton family, with the monogram R.I.P., to each inscription. The
church also contains a large number of handsome monuments and objects of interest, among these
being the oak choir screens erected in memory of the late Dr. L. Fisher. Lord Justice Holker
is interred here, and also most of the crew of the St. Annes Lifeboat who were drowned in the
lifeboat disaster when proceeding to the wreck of the “Mexico,” in 1886. In the tower are
eight fine-toned bells. There are 1,020 sittings, of which 220 are free. The benefice is a
vicarage of the annual value of £639, in the patronage of J. Talbot Clifton, Esq., and held by
the Rev. Herbert G. Rosher, M.A.
ST. JOHN’S CHURCH, East Beach, Lytham, was erected in 1849 and enlarged in 1857. It is a handsome
stone building in the early English style of architecture, and cost £4,000. In 1875, a peal of
bells was placed in the steeple and in 1888 two handsome brasses, one recording the erection of the
window over the altar and the other recording the enlargement of the organ, all of which are in
memory of Baroness Grey de Ruthyn. A handsome lych-gate is in memory of a former vicar, the Rev. T.
G. Smart, M.A. The south aisle of the church has been converted into a War Memorial Chapel at a
cost of £1,900. There are 700 sittings, of which 266 are free. The benefice is a vicarage of the
annual value of £363, in the patronage of J. T. Clifton, Esq., and held by the Rev. John
ST. PAUL’S CHURCH, Clifton Drive, Fairhaven, erected in
1904 at a cost of £8,215, is in the late perpendicular Gothic style of architecture; and built
of brick with stone facings and pillars. The plans provide for additional _nave and side
aisle, the building being incomplete. There are 485 sittings. The annual value of the benefice
is £356, in the patronage of the trustees of J. T. Clifton, Esq., and held by the Rev. F.
THE PARISH CHURCH, St. Annes, occupies a site in a triangle at the junction
of St. Annes Road East, Church Road and Headroomgate Road. The church is dedicated to St. Anne and
was raised through the munificence of Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton at an expense of £4,229, the
designs being supplied by Messrs. Austin & Paley, of Lancaster. A new Baptistry erected at the
west end of the church was dedicated by the Bishop of Whalley and unveiled by General Shoubridge,
C.M.G., D.S.O., on June 29th, 1920. The cost of erection was £1,709. The church contains 700
sittings, all of which are free. The benefice is a vicarage; value £400, in the patronage of J. T.
Clifton, Esq., and is held by the Rev. Herbert Edward Butler. St. Mary’s Mission Church, situated
in Orchard Road, St. Annes, is a chapel-of-ease to the parish. The Parish Rooms erected near the
church contain men’s clubroom, classrooms, meeting rooms, etc., the foundation stone being laid in
1910. Although it was not until the year 1872 that the foundation stone of the church was laid, a
school was established in 1821, and enlarged in 1853. In 1880 new schools were erected at a cost of
£2,000, the site being given by the late J. T. Clifton, Esq., and were enlarged in 1894. In 1909,
the schools were again enlarged at a cost of £1,650, and have now accommodation for 172 boys, 165
girls and 150 infants.
ST. THOMAS’ CHURCH, South Drive, St. Annes, was
consecrated by Bishop Moorhouse in 1900, at which date only the chancel and part of the nave
was built. The church was completed in 1905 by the addition of the western part of the nave
and the erection of a tower which is detached from the main building. The church was designed
by Messrs. Austin & Paley, of Lancaster, which is spacious and is of very fine
proportions. The seating accommodation is for 800. The building is of brick with stone
facings, and cost £14,000. The church possesses some fine examples of stained glass, also a
lady chapel which was added in 1906. The present and first vicar of the parish is the Rev.C.
H. Ellison, MA.
ST. PETER’S CATHOLIC CHURCH, Clifton Street, Lytham, is a Gothic edifice opened in 1839, and is
calculated to accommodate 500 persons. During recent years several important alterations have been
effected. In 1875-6, new sacristies and confessionals were constructed. In 1877 three new beautiful
altars were erected; the high altar being generously subscribed for by the congregation, in memory
of the late Rev. Joseph Walmsley, who was the pastor here for 44 and a half years. The Lady altar
was the gift of John Turner, Esq., and St. John’s altar was the gift of the late John Mercer, Esq.,
of Alston Hall. In 18’78 the church tower, 78 feet in height, was built at the expense of the late
John Talbot Clifton, Esq., who contributed £1,000 for its erection. The church has been thoroughly
restored, and its arcading of pictures and stations round the interior is very artistic. The whole
work was from designs by Messrs. Pugin. During 1893 the old benches gave place to new ones of a
very elegant design. On August 26th, 1894, a peal of six bells were erected in the tower, and in
October of the same year eight stained-glass windows were erected, being an offering from Mr. John
Singleton and his wife, Ellen Singleton, of Lytham. Two more were erected, one in the Lady chapel
and the other in St. Joseph’s chapel. The whole of the windows were supplied by Mayer & Co. A
handsome lych-gate was erected during 1898 by the Very Rev. James Canon Taylor. It is built of
English oak, standing in a base of Accrington brick, surmounted by Aspatria stone, and is from the
designs of Messrs. Pugin & Pugin. The church is decorated in the most artistic style. The
schools were rebuilt during the year 1902, from designs by Mr. T. C. Grimble, architect, and are
now thoroughly equipped in the most approved style. The main school is divided in class-rooms
communicating with each other. A new infant school with separate room for babies has also been
added. The rectory was renovated during the year 1899, and is now a handsome and commodious
building. In 1921-1922 the church was re-roofed, a baptistry the gift of the Hosker family, costing
£700, was erected, a solid oak staircase was provided and other improvements made at a total cost
of £6,500. In 1923, electric light was installed at a cost of £260. Very Rev. John Canon O’Reilly
(rector), Rev. C. Campion, D.D. The Catholic population is 1,100.
At Saltcoates is a CATHOLIC CEMETERY, one and a half acres in extent, laid out with much taste,
which was opened in 1892. It is enclosed by a substantial brick wall, and in the centre stands a
mortuary chapel. The ground was secured by the efforts of Canon James Taylor, from J. T. Clifton,
Esq., for a period of 999 years, at a nominal rent of £l per year.
The CATHOLIC CHURCH, Woodlands road, Andsell, is a beautiful
Gothic church dedicated to St. Joseph. It is a stone building designed by Messrs. Pugin &
Pugin, of London and Liverpool. The church was built as a memorial to the late Right Rev.
Monsignor James Canon Taylor and his brother the. late Rev. Father Roger Taylor. The
foundation stone was laid by Bishop Whiteside, in August, 1909. In October, 1911, a peal of
bells hung in the church tower were cast by Messrs. Meals & Stainbank, of London, and
blessed by Bishop Whiteside. In September, 1914, the church was solemnly opened by Bishop
Whiteside. The cost of the building was about £13,000
OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA, St. Annes, is a beautiful Catholic church dedicated to the Blessed
Virgin. It is a Gothic edifice opened in 1890, and was built as a memorial to the late Duchess of
Norfolk. The site was presented by the late J: T. Clifton, Esq., and the foundation stone was laid
on October 21st, 1888. The cost of erection was about £6,000, the principal contributor being the
Duke of Norfolk. The designs were supplied by Messrs. Pugin & Pugin, of London. Contributions
have been received to the amount of £3,000 for the purpose of enlarging the church when convenient.
Rev. M. Ryan, parish priest; Rev. J. Stott, curate. The schools, erected in St. Alban’s Road, are
built of stone, and will accommodate 130 children. Cost, including site, etc., was £1,500. These
were opened September 11th; 1896.
The WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH, South Drive, St. Annes, is a handsome Gothic structure with a
graceful spire, erected at a cost of £4,000. The chancel and west windows are of stained glass, and
an organ was erected at a cost of £650. In 1911 the church was enlarged to accommodate 750
worshippers. In 1921 a stained glass window was placed in the chancel in memory of officers and men
of the congregation who fell in the Great War. In 1923 the church was re-decorated. Adjoining the
church is a Lecture Hall erected to the memory of the late Mr. H. Barber. The original church, at
the back of the Lecture Hall, is now used as a Sunday School, and is the place of meeting of the
Drive Literary and Social Union, which provides weekly lectures every Friday during the winter. The
present minister is the Rev. John Higgitt. Another Wesleyan Methodist Church, situate in Church
Road, is of Gothic design with a tower. In 1923 the church was equipped with a new organ. Rev.
Elphin A: Ellis, minister.
The WESLEYAN CHURCH, Park Street, Lytham, is a commodious building with stone front, erected in
1868. Another church, situate in Albert street, connected with this body, was erected in 1907 at a
cost of £3,000. Rev. John E. Mattinson, B.D., supt. minister. At Clifton Drive, Fairhaven, is a
church erected in 1909, at a cost of £5,215. It is a stone building in the Gothic style of
architecture. Rev. J. H. Bodgenor, minister.
The BAPTIST CHURCH, St. Andrew’s Road, St. Annes, opened and dedicated in 1910, is a handsome
building in the late Gothic style of architecture. It is the second church to be built in St.
Annes. The former, a much smaller building, is now used as a Liberal Club. In 1921 a new “ Peace
Memorial “ organ was installed by Messrs Jardine &. Co., Ltd., of Manchester. Rev. Hugh Hunter,
In Ansdell is another church built in 1908 at a cost of £5,500, and is of Gothic design. Rev.
The CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, Bannister Street, Lytham; was erected in 1862, and is a neat Gothic
stone building with graceful spire.
The Congregational Church at Clifton Drive, Fairhaven, is of Byzantine
architecture, and was opened in 1912. It is one of the most imposing architectural features on the
coast. The stained, glass-‘windows, illustrating “The Struggle for Religious Freedom,” have an
attraction for visitors during the season.
Another handsome Gothic edifice is in St. George’s Road and Clifton Drive
North, St. Annes, was opened in 1894. It is built entirely of stone from designs by Messrs: Walker
& Collinson, of Leeds, and cost £7,700. The tower is a replica; of the central tower of York
Minster. ‘ The chancel is in panelled oak. A new organ was installed in 1899, by Messrs. Binns, at
a cost of £735. The church contains several beautiful stained glass windows; and seating
accommodation for 650 worshippers. Rev. W. F. Riddell, minister.
The UNITARIAN CHURCH, Charming Road, Ansdell, was founded in 1905. The building is a temporary one;
but plans and a sum of money have been obtained for a handsome permanent building. A War Memorial
Tablet has recently been erected in the church to the memory of members of the congregation who
fell in the Great War. Rev. A. Golland, minister.
MOUNT OLIVET PENTECOSTAL CENTRE is situated in Preston Road. Mr. Joseph Hawkins, pastor.
The Annual Regatta, Fairhaven Lake, Lytham St.Anne's, in the
TOWN HALL, South Drive, erected at a cost of £5,000, consists of Council
chamber, etc., and offices for the use of the Town Clerk, Borough Surveyor, Borough Treasurer,
Electrical Engineer and other officials.
GASWORKS, situated at Westcliffe, Lytham, and St. David’s Road, St. Annes, were erected in 1847 and
1875 respectively. The plant consists of five gas holders capable of containing a total of 710,000
cubic feet. There are 52 miles of gas mains supplying 5,406 consumers, and 768 public lamps. The
price of gas to consumers is 9d. to 10d. pretherm. J. H. Ranft, manager and engineer.
ELECTRICITY WORKS, situated in St. David’s Road, St. Annes, erected in 1900 at a cost of £18,161.
Since that time additions and alterations have been made to supply the increased demand.. The plant
is of the steam reciprocating type, with a capacity of 1,850 K.W., supplying a pressure of 240-280
D.C., 240-420 A.C., 50 period, and 6,600volt, 3 phase, 50 period E.H.T. There are 40 miles of mains
supplying electricity to 4,734 consumers, and 684 public lamps. Jas. H. Clothier, borough
TRAMWAYS, originally the property of the Blackpool St. Annes and Lytham Tramways Company, was first
opened for traffic in July, 1896, with rather a novel system of power: Compressed gas. being used.
This form of propulsion proved a failure, and on June 4th, 1903, cars were run by electricity. In
1920 the whole of the. tramway property was acquired by the then St, Annes Urban District Council
for the sum of £140,000. The present rolling stock consists of 40 open top double deck cars and 10
covered top double deck cars. There; is a working agreement with the Blackpool Corporation for cars
to run from Lytham direct to Talbot Square, Blackpool. In -addition to the Municipal trams are six
single deck one man operated motor buses of the “ Guy “ type. H. W. Laing, general manager.
The REFUSE DESTRUCTOR & SEWAGE WORKS, off Preston Road, Lytham, was erected in 1902 at a cost
of £2,980. The buildings comprise a pumping station, refuse destructor, storage tanks, disinfector
and Manager’s cottage. The pump can lift 4,500,000 gallons daily, the steam required being
generated principally by the burning of refuse at the Destructor. The works at Kilnhouse Lane, St.
Annes, was erected in 1902 at a cost of £2,946. Extensive renovations have recently been carried
out at an approximate cost of £2,500. The buildings now comprise a Meldrums Destructor, tin baler,
and mortar mill. Two cottages were erected in 1902, at a cost of £678; for the Destructor
CEMETERY-The site for the proposed cemetery is situate off Clifton Drive North, near Gillett’s
Crossing. It was purchased at a cost of £4,000 and contains 10 acres.
The FIRE STATION, St. Annes, is situate in St. Andrew’s Road North. The Brigade, a retained one,
consists of thirteen officers and men. The equipment of the station consists of a Ford motor (with
Cotton Hall Pump) and 30ft. fire escape ; 260 gallons steam fire engine. 40 gallons combined
chemical engine and 40ft. Fire escape. The Famewell Fire Alarm system is installed, and seven fire
alarm boxes are erected in different parts of the district. The Fire Station at Lytham, is situate
in Chapel Street, and has a retained Brigade. It consists of twelve officers and men. The equipment
comprises steam fire engine and Ford tender, fitted with chemical pump and Cotton Hall Pump.
FREE PUBLIC LIBRARIES.-THE CARNEGIE LIBRARY, St. Annes, is situate in Clifton Drive South
(adjoining the Technical School). It was erected in 1905 at a cost of £3,700 (the gift of Dr.
Andrew Carnegie). The building contains a lending library, reference library and reading room. The
number of volumes in the Library are as follows :-Lending Department, 10,219;Reference ‘Department,
1,359 ; a total of 11,578. The annual issues 64,560. The Library at Lytham, situate in Clifton
Street, was opened in 1878 and maintained by Public subscriptions; it was taken over by the late
Lytham Urban District Council in 1917. It contains a lending library, reading room, lecture rooms,
and two billiard rooms (five tables). The number of volumes contained in the Library is 6,617, and
the annual issues total 42,829. A Branch Reading Room, at St. Annes, is situate in Church Road.
Miss B. M. Barrow, borough librarian.
The TECHNICAL SCHOOL is situate in Clifton Drive South, St. Annes (opposite St. Thomas’ Church). It
was erected in 1907 at a cost of £9,400. In addition to the usual Commercial, Technical, etc.,
classes, a School of Art and Handicraft Centre are established. R. H. Irving, head master.
ELEMENTARY EDUCATION. Lytham St. Annes became an autonomous area for Elementary Education on the
granting of a Charter of Incorporation, in November, 1922. There are eight Elementary Schools
within the district, two provided and six non-provided, with a staff of 57 teachers. Arthur Kay,
LOWTHER GARDENS„ Lytham, presented to the Council in 1905 by John Talbot Clifton, Esq., of Lytham
Hall. The grounds are 12 acres in extent, and are laid out with walks, shrubberies, flower beds,
grottos and sheltered seats. There are also well-kept and extensive tennis courts and bowling
green. Music is rendered during the season in the Lowther Pavilion by a ladies’ orchestra.
MARINE LAKE AND GARDENS, Fairhaven, is skirted by a semi-circular promenade which over the open
sea, and provides excellent and safe boating facilities. Upon the site also are expansive and
well-kept tennis courts and croquet lawns, a large open-air swimming bath and a popular refreshment
ASHTON GARDENS, St. Annes, formerly St. George’s Gardens, the gift of Lord Ashton, contain 14.5
acres of land and cost nearly £26,000. The gardens are used as a public park and contain bowling
greens and tennis courts. Over 500 tons of rock is arranged to form a rock and water garden, which
gives the effect of the natural strata, introducing plants and shrubs. A lake which is 200 feet
long has a graceful waterfall and cascade. In the floral hall music is rendered during the summer
months by a ladies’ orchestra. In the winter season the hall is used for concerts, whist drives,
The LYTHAM INSTITUTE, Clifton Street, was opened in September, 1878, the cost of its erection being
about £3,000, raised by voluntary subscriptions. It is a neat Gothic building, and contains
billiard, reading and lecture rooms, and a library of 3,500 volumes. Technical and Art Classes are
also successfully conducted. An addition to the Institute, in commemoration of Queen Victoria’s
Diamond jubilee, a new wing-was opened by His Grace the Duke of Norfolk on September 13th, 1898,
the foundation stone being laid by Sir Matthew White Ridley on the 8th of January, 1898. The site,
valued at £250, and on which several cottages formerly stood, was presented by J. T. Clifton, Esq.
The addition includes a fine reading room, gymnasium, and additional class-rooms, the cost being
£1,500. The architect was Mr. T. C. Grimble, and the contractor Mr. George Myers. The reading room
is well supplied with all the current papers, and periodicals, and the Institute is open also to
visitors at a small weekly subscription.
OPEN-AIR SWIMMING BATH, St. Annes, is a fine open-air filtered sea water bath, opened in 1916, from
a design by Fred Harrison, of Accrington. The bath is 80 yards long by 40 yards wide, and for a
width of 12 yards is 7 feet deep throughout its entire length. A width of 17 yards varies in depth
from 7 feet to 2 feet 6 inches, and the remaining width of 11 yards slopes from 2 feet 6 inches
down to nothing, and is roped off for the use of children.
The PIER, erected by the St. Annes-on-the-Sea. Land and Building Company, Ltd., was opened in 1885
by Lord Derby. It has a light and graceful appearance, furnished with recesses and seats, and at
the outer end there is a covered shelter and a bandstand. From the pier head there is a
three-storeyed iron extension - which enables passengers to embark and disembark at all stages of
the tide. The cost of erection was £20,000. In 1904 the pier was enlarged and a handsome Moorish
pavilion erected at a cost of £30,000. It is acknowledged to be one of the prettiest piers around
the coast. During the summer a ladies’ orchestra plays twice daily in the floral hall. The pavilion
has seating accommodation for 1,000 persons, where performances are held by some of the best
touring concert parties in the country. St. Annes-on-the-Sea Land and Building Company, Ltd.; are
the proprietors, and Robert Cartmell, manager. Length of the pier is 315 yards.
The PIER, Lytham, is a fine structure running over 900 feet seawards, containing
pavilion for holding concerts, dramatic and music performances. At the end of the pier is a
spacious floral hall, where a musical festival is held every summer.
LYTHAM HALL, the seat of the Clifton family, is a stately mansion, about half-a-mile north-west of
Lytham. It was erected by Thomas Clifton in 1764, replacing a more ancient hall built by Sir
Cuthbert Clifton, who became owner of the estate in 1606.
ABRAHAM ORMEROD CONVALESCENT HOME was founded in 1891, and contains 125 beds. Girls are received
from 5 to 14 years of age, and boys from 5 to 10, irrespective of creed. The Home is
open for visitors every day from 2 to 5 p.m. Miss A. M. Thomas; secretary.
BLACKBURN AND DISTRICT CONVALESCENT HOME FOR ADULTS was established in 1915. The present
accommodation being insufficient, it is hoped shortly to enlarge the Home to receive about 50
persons. Miss M. Halliwell, matron.
MANCHESTER CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL AND CONVALESCENT HOME, established in 1896, is supported by
voluntary contributions. Miss E. Stower, matron.
THURSBY CONVALESCENT HOME FOR CHILDREN, established in 1905 by Sir John O. S. Thursby, Bart. Miss
J. Turner, matron.
Woodlands Road, Ansdell c1920.
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, OFFICES, &c.
ABATTOIRS, St. David’s Road North, St. Annes.
ABRAHAM ORMEROD CONVALESCENT HOME, St. Annes.
ASHTON INSTITUTE, St. George Road. J. E. Rigby, hon. sec.
ASHTON GARDENS, St. George Road, St. Annes-on-Sea.
ASSEMBLY Rooms, Central Beach, Lytham
BATHS, Central Beach, Lytham.
BOROUGH COLLECTOR, Town Hall, St. Annes. E. Redhead.
BLACKBURN AND DISTRICT CONVALESCENT HOME -(Adults), Clifton Drive, St. Annes.
BOROUGH TREASURER AND SUPERINTENDENT ASSISTANT OVERSEER, St.Annes. Alfred B. Dawson, A.S.A.A.,
BOROUGH ENGINEER AND SURVEYOR, Town Hall, St. Annes. F. W.. Lawson.
CARNEGIE LIBRARY, Clifton Drive, St. Annes. Miss B. Barrow, librarian.
CATHOLIC PROTECTION AND REFUGE SOCIETY, St. Elizabeth’s Home,’ 37 East Beach, Lytham.
CONVALESCENT HOME FOR CHILDREN (Abraham Ormerod),, Clifton Drive, St. Annes. ‘ CONVALESCENT HOME
FOR CHILDREN (John Reynolds), Lytham. F. Thompson, sec.
CONVALESCENT HOME FOR CHILDREN (Manchester), Clifton Drive, St. Annes. Miss E. Stower, matron.
CONVALESCENT HOME FOR CHILDREN (Rochdale), 145 St. Andrew’s Road South, St. Annes.
CONVALESCENT HOME FOR CHILDREN (Thursby), Clifton Drive, St, Annes.
CONVALESCENT MANCHESTER SUNDAY SCHOOL UNION, Clifton Drive,’ St. Annes. Miss H. Hughes.
CONGREGATIONALIST HOME OF REST, 6 Pollux Gate, Fairhaven. Miss Perks.
CORPORATION ELECTRICITY WORKS, St. Annes. J. H. Clothier, engnr.
CORPORATION GAS WORKS, Lytham and St. Annes. John H. Ranft, engineer and manager.
CORPORATION TRAMWAYS, Squires Gate, Blackpool. H. W. Laing, manager.
ELECTRICITY WORKS, St. David’s Road South, St. Annes. J. H. Clothier; manager.
EMPIRE THEATRE, St. George’s Road. W. H. Spring, manager.
FIRE STATIONS, St. Andrew’s Road North, St. Annes and Chapel Street, Lytham.
FREE PUBLIC LIBRARIES (Carnegie), Clifton Drive, St. Annes. Miss B. M. Barrow, librarian. Clifton
Street, Lytham. Miss M. Dobson, librarian.
FYLDE WATER BOARD, Oxford Avenue, St. Annes, and 27 Westby Street, Lytham.
HOME OF REST FOR CONGREGATIONALISTS, 6 Pollux Gate, Fairhaven. Miss Perks.
LIFEBOAT HOUSES, East Beach, Lytham, and East Bank Road, St. Annes.
LOWTHER GARDENS, Church Road. Lytham.
LYTHAM BATHS AND ASSEMBLY Rooms, Central Beach, Lytham. LYTHAM GAS WORKS AND OFFICE, West
LYTHAM HALL, Church Road.
LYTHAM HOSPITAL, Warton Street.
LYTHAM ESTATE OFFICE, Hastings Place, Lytham. T. Fair & Son, agents.
LYTHAM INSTITUTE, Clifton Street.
LYTHAM PICTURE HOUSE, Henry Street. E. F. Glass, manager.
LYTHAM PIER AND AMUSEMENTS, PAVILION AND FLORAL HALL. F. E. Holmes, manager.
LYTHAM WAR MEMORIAL, Market Place.
MANCHESTER CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL CONVALESCENT HOME, Clifton Drive, St. Annes.
MARKET, Market Street, Lytham.
MARINE GARDENS AND BAND STAND, St. Annes.
MARINE LAKE AND GARDENS, Fairhaven.
MAYOR’S ATTENDANT AND TOWN HALL KEEPER, St. Annes. E. Taylor. OLD COUNCIL OFFICES, Dicconson
MEDICAL OFFICER OF HEALTH. G. C. Walker, M.D., D.P.H. .
OPEN-AIR SWIMMING BATHS, St. Annes.
PALACE CINEMA, Garden Street, St. Annes. T. Harrop, manager.
PICTURE THEATRE (Empire), St. George’s Road, St. Annes.
POLICE STATIONS, St. Andrew’s Road, St. Annes; Denmark Road, Ansdell, and Bannister Street,
PUBLIC HALL AND THEATRE, Garden Street, St. Annes.
PUBLIC LIBRARIES, Clifton Street; Lytham, and Clifton Drive, St. Annes.
PIERS, Lytham; F. E. Holmes, manager. St. Annes; R. Cartmell, secretary and manager.
ROYAL NATIONAL LIFEBOAT HOUSE, East Bank Road, St.Anne's
READING Room, Church Street, St. Annes,
REGISTRAR OF -BIRTHS, DEATHS AND MARRIAGES.Robert Wareing, 10 Market Square.
ST. ANNES WAR MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, St. Annes Road East
ST. ANNES PIER. R. Cartmell, secretary and manager.
SCHOOLS MEDICAL OFFICER. G. C. Walker, M.D., D.P.H.
SISTERS OF CHARITY, 25 East Beach, Lytham.
SOCIETY OF ST. VINCENT DE PAUL, Sisters of Charity, 25 East Beach, Lytham.
TELEPHONE EXCHANGE, 7 Queen Street, Lytham.
TECHNICAL SCHOOL, South Drive, St. Annes. R. H. Irving, head master,
TOWN CLERK, Town Hall, St. Annes. T. Bradley. TOWN HALL, South Drive, St. Annes.
Town’s DEPOTS, Westcliffe, Lytham, and St. David’s Road North, St. Annes.
WAR MEMORIAL, Market Square, Lytham.
WAR MEMORIAL, Hospital, St. Annes Road East, St.Annes.
ASHTON INSTITUTE, St. George’s Road, St. Annes. J. E. Rigby, sec.
CONSERVATIVE CLUB, 26 Hastings Place, Lytham. H. Hoyle, sec..
FAIRHAVEN GOLF CLUB, Lytham Park. J. R. Jones, secretary.
LIBERAL CLUB, 46 St. Andrew’s Road. South, St. Annes. J. Stott, sec.
LYTHAM ST. ANNES GOLF CLUB. T. Pym Williamson,Sec.
LYTHAM CRICKET CLUB, Church road. H.P.Shanks and S. Catterall, hon. secretaries.
LYTHAM GREEN DRIVE GOLF CLUB, Ballam Road. W.. Pickstone, sec.
LYTHAM CONSERVATIVE CLUB, 26 Hastings Place. H. Hoyle, sec.
ST. ANNES EX-SERVICEMEN’S CLUB, Alexandra Road West. J. Batty,. secretary.
ST. ANNES OLD LINKS GOLF CLUB, St. David’s Road North. S. B.Lowe, secretary.
ST. ANNES YACHT CLUB, Central. Beach, Lytham. H. P. Shanks, sec.
ST. ANNES PARISH CHURCH LADS’ CLUB, St. Alban’s road.
Y.M.C.A. (Lads’ Club) ; N. Y. L. Brindley, secretary.
Post Office: Clifton St., Lytham. A. SALLOWS, Postmaster.
SUB-OFFICES.-Ansdell, Cambridge Road, Church Road, Pollux Gate and Warton Street.
PILLAR AND WALL BOXES.-Town Ansdell, Cambridge Road, Church Road, Pollux Gate, Ansdell Road North,
Clifton Drive, Derby Road, Fairlawn Road, Myra Road, -West Beach, Woodlands Road; Warton Street,
Grosvenor Street, Park Road, Railway Station, St. Peter’s Place, Victoria Street, Westby Street,
Mythop Road, Nelson Street. Rural Moss Side Station, Saltcoats and Ballam.