Fairhaven Model Yacht Club
This club had about 30 members who met each Saturday in Autumn and held
competitions. The members made their own yachts and the races took place across Fairhaven Lake. The
boats had to cross the lake and reach the other side from two given points. After a lapse the club
was revived and existed until at least the 1920s.
Members of the first "Fairhaven Model Yacht Club" (1898-1901) pictured in
FRONT ROW: L-R, J.Parr (killed whilst serving on a minesweeper in the 1914-18
War); H.Smith; W.Gill (Captain of the club, he later emigrated to Canada) J.Bellhouse (Club
Secretary, Lowrey Terrace, South Shore, Blackpool).
SECOND ROW: T.Smith (who later became a local coal merchant); E.Fish (Later worked
for Blackpool Corporation); S.Smith (in business with his brother).
BACK ROW: T.Eaves & G.Bamber (both of South Shore, Blackpool).
FAIRHAVEN MODEL YACHT CLUB.
CHALLENGE CUPS PROVIDED.
A meeting of the members of the Fairhaven Model Yacht Club was
held on Friday evening, in the Lakeside Cafe, for the purpose of providing
challenge cups in place of the trophy won outright by Mr. T. L. Milne.
Mr. S. Lonsdale (commodore) presided over a moderate attendance
of members, the wet weather preventing many others front being present. Having
explained the object of the meeting, viz., to provide challenge trophies for 10 and
15 raters, Mr. Lonsdale announced that Mr. T. L. Milne had offered to provide a
silver rose bowl for 15 raters.
Subscriptions amounting to over £5 were collected at the meeting
for the other trophy. What form it will take will depend of course upon the amount
of subscriptions. The list is still open, and Mr. H. Crowe, Estate offices,
Fairhiaven, is secretary and treasurer.