The Double Stanner, Fairhaven, in 1891
The Double Stanner was a bank of shingle which stretched from St.Annes, along
the coast to Granny's Bay (also known as Grannies' Bay and Ansdell Bay) near Lytham.
Here it tailed off in a crescent shape and a small channel allowed the tide to
fill the space between the shingle bank and the sand dunes near Clifton Drive.
This feature of the coast had been formed gradually, perhaps over 100 years by
pebbles cast up by the sea. In 1892-3 the Stanner was closed off and filled with seawater to form
the present Fairhaven Lake.
Plan of the Double Stanner, November 1891 and below,
a plan of Fairhaven Lake in 1909.