Lytham St.Annes Coat of Arms
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, England


  The Clifton Arms Hotel, Lytham - the 1860s

People resident at the Clifton Arms Hotel, Lytham on the day of the 1861 Census and their ages:

John Knowles 41 (hotel keeper) (died in 1874)
Alice Knowles 43(wife)

Margaret Houghton 49 (cook)
Richard Wilding 55 (waiter)
Esther E Bamber 24 (barmaid)
Elizabeth Bamber 18 (barmaid)
Jane Willacy 30 (laundry maid)
Elizabeth Roberts 26 (kitchen maid)
Grace Burrow 21 (tea maid)
Charlotte Chilton 28 (laundry maid)
Jane Kirk 18 (laundry maid)
Ann Dickinson 18 (scullery maid)
Agnes E Manser 29 (house maid)
Alice Rawstorne 28 (house maid)
James Jackson 25 (waiter)
Robert Atkin 21 (billiard marker)
William Wilkin 22 (boots)
Henry Singleton 14 (boots)
John Wigglesworth 21 (postboy)

Louisa Abbott 22 (lodger/governess)
Agnes Brookes 2 Months old (lodger)
Jessie N Brookes 2  (lodger)
Samuel Brookes 6  (lodger/scholar)
Sarah A Brookes 28  (lodger)
Edward Burt 29  (lodger/butler)
Sarah Castley 24(lodger/general servant)
James Catterall 26 (lodger/cotton spinner)
Esther Davis 27  (lodger/house servant)
Sarah A Easty 28  (lodger/nurse)
Douglas Glendining 3  (lodger)
Emily J Glendining 28 (lodger)
Lily B Glendining 2  (lodger)
Sidney Glendining 25  (lodger)
Emanuel Jones 51  (lodger/tobacco merchant)
Elizth Marshall 34  (lodger)
Eliza Newman 21 (lodger/house servant)
Mary A Somerville 38 (lodger)
Susannah M Somerville 11  (lodger)
Charles A Taylor 29  (lodger/cotton spinner)
William Thomas 46  (lodger/mill manager)
Elizth Wale 18  (lodger)
Ann Walmsley 33  (lodger)
Ellen E Walmsley 6 (lodger/scholar)
Emily A Walmsley 4 (lodger)
GeorgeWalmsley 37  (lodger/Magistrate/cotton spiner)
Robert B Walmsley 1  (lodger) 


The Edinburgh Evening Courant, 5 December 1868




To be DISPOSED or by Private Treaty, in consequence of the present Proprietor retiring from business,

THE GOODWILL, TENANT'S RIGHT, and INTEREST of and in all that well accustomed Family Hotel, known as the CLIFTON ARMS HOTEL, IN LYTHAM. The Hotel, which is well furnished and replete with every convenience, and contains 100 Sitting and Bed Rooms, has a Frontage to the Beach of sixty yards, and commanding an extensive view of the Estuary of the River Ribble. Also an, and forming part thereof, are commodious Wine and Spirit –Vaults, where a first class family trade is carried on. Attached thereto is a well-accustomed Tap and a large Yard, surrounded by good Stabling and Coach-houses. There is also on the premises a Telegraph Office, communicating with all parts of the world, a Bowling Green, and other conveniences.

The Premises are held for the residue of an unexpired term of 90 years, from the 1st day of May 1864, at a moderate rent.

The Cellars contain about 1000 DOZENS of FIRST-CLASS WINES (including Port, Sherry, Claret, Hock, and Champagne), amongst which may be enumerated Port Wines of the vintages of 1820, 1827, 1839, 1840, 1847, &c., and some very old Madeira and Sherry and these, together with the Furniture which is modern and by the best makers, must be taken at a valuation.

Further particulars may be had (by Principals or their Solicitors only) on application to Mr Paul Catterall, Solicitor, 6 Camden Place, Preston.

2n d December 1868.

The Clifton Arms Hotel, Lytham, viewed from the pier in the 1860s
In 1865, a three-storey extension was built (see photo); a report of its opening is below. At some later date another floor was added to the original structure.

The Preston Guardian, Saturday, May 20th, 1865


LYTHAM. Visitors to Lytham, since the close of the season of 1864, will have noticed the erection of a con­siderable addition to the Clifton Arms Hotel, the well- known and favourite hostelry on the beach at Lytham, conducted for many years past by Mr. John Knowles. Great as have been the resources of that establishment they have been for some time past unequal to the demands upon it for accommodation, and accordingly at the east end of the hotel Mr. Knowles has erected an additional wing.


The new part of the house contains a large and elegantly fitted up coffee room, a spacious billiard room, and numerous sitting rooms, bed rooms, &c. At the opening of the pier, on Easter Monday, the coffee room was used, for the first time, for the luncheon given by the directors of the Pier Company. The new billiard room was opened on Saturday last, on which occasion Mr. Knowles invited a number of his friends to partake of luncheon, in celebration of the event.


About three o'clock, about fifty gentlemen sat down to a most elegant and hospitable repast. After full justice had been accorded to the bountiful spread, the Rev. R. B. Robinson, incumbent of Lytham, who presided, after disposing of the customary loyal toasts, proposed the health of Mr. Knowles and success to his undertaking.


He said it might seem strange that he should be present at a banquet to cele­brate the opening of a billiard room, seeing that he had never played a game of billiards in his life, but he had had great pleasure in accepting the invitation to be pre­sent that day from his respect for Mr. Knowles as a friend and a neighbour, and from appreciation of his desire to make the visitors to his hotel comfortable.


As respected billiard playing, he believed it to be a skilful and scientific game, and that it was not the game itself, but the gambling to which it sometimes led, that ren­dered it to some people objectionable. He hoped those who heard him, if they cultivated the game, would avoid those excesses. The toast was drunk with applause.


Mr. Knowles, who occupied the vice-chair, expressed his obligations to Mr. Robinson, for his kindness in proposing his health, and to his friends about him for so cordially drinking it. He was glad to see them on that occasion, and he hoped, at all times, to be able to make those visiting his establishment feel at home.

Mr. Barlow, of Bolton, as an occasional visitor to Lytham, spoke in the highest terms of the chairman as a gentleman and a Christian minister, and proposed his health, which the reverend gentleman acknowledged. The health of Mrs. Knowles was then given and duly honoured.


After some other toasts had been given, the company adjourned to the new billiard room, an elegant and lofty apartment, well lighted and well ventilated, and fitted with two of Burroughs and Watts's tables. Here, the room having been "declared open," several games were played, and the conviviality of the company was continued, all being pleased with the satisfactory and most hospitable mantle in which the new room had been inaugurated.