A description of Clifton-with-Salwick,
THE former, a village 5½ miles W. from Preston,
and the latter, a district of dispersed dwellings, 5 miles N.W. from that town, form a township of
about 3,496 acres, most of which are in a high state of cultivation.
The township is in the parliamentary division of
the Fylde, in the Fylde county council division, and Union, and the parish council comprises six
members. The soil is the property of Thomas Magee, Esq., and others, by whose family it has been
held from remote antiquity.
CLIFTON HALL, a fine mansion built by Thos.
Clifton, Esq., is now occupied by Lady Hacking, and SALWICK HALL is an ancient building, in which
there was at one time a Catholic Chapel, it is occupied by Thomas Magee, Esq. This was superseded
by that erected in 1801-2 in the neighbouring village of Lea.
LUND CHURCH, which stands in a lonely part
of the township, has an existence prior to 1517 ; but the present building only dates from 1825. It
contains a very ancient font made out of an old oak Roman altar, a bell is also hung in the church,
dated 1684. A tower was added in 1873. There are 300 sittings, 217 of which are free. The Church
dedicated to St. John the Evangelist was a Chapel of ease to Kirkham up to 1841. The benefice is a
vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and is worth £329 a
year. It is held by Rev. E. Stoney, who succeeded the Rev. R. Moore, who held the living from 1820
to 1886. The ecclesiastical parish includes the township of
Newton-with-Scales since 1847.
About a mile from the village of Clifton is a
NATIONAL SCHOOL, erected in 1837, which is now closed. It was rebuilt in 1887 by the late Lady
Eleanor Cecily Clifton, and will now accommodate 97 children. The L. M. & S. Railway runs
through the township, and has a station here, five miles from Preston. Population in 1851, 471 ;
1861, 447 : 1871, 447 ; 1881, 508 ; 1891, 470 ; 1901, 413 ; 1911, 425 ; and 1921, 460 ; and its
rateable value is £3,031.
Parish Council.—J. Tomlinson (chairman), J. Wade,
Matthew Tomlinson, E. Richardson and R. Charnley.
Rural District Councillor : M. Tomlinson.
Post and Money Order Office at Mr. H. Tyrer's.
Letters arrive, via Preston, 7.20 a.m. and 4.30 p.m., and are
despatched at 7-45 a.m. and 4.45 p.m.